Let me just say that I’ve made this recipe 3 times in the past 2 weeks! I mixed all the ingredients together, gave it a quick sear and let it cook in my Instant Pot. Mine looked more like sliders because I used dark meat for the ground chicken. These reheat perfectly and are great as a packed lunch.
The Instant Pot is so popular right now and if you’re like me, you probably ordered yours during last year’s black Friday sale. I’ve played with mine a couple of times with existing recipes I already have but it can be a hit or miss. I was really excited when Jennifer from Predominantly Paleo released her latest book, Paleo Cooking with Your Instant Pot. I don’t have to tinker around with the settings because her recipes tell me exactly what to use.
This Cilantro Chicken Meatballs recipe gets two thumbs up from me so give it a try and add it to your weekly meal prep!
UPDATE: I made a minor edit to the ingredients to include 2 tbsp of tapioca flour to the mixture to firm it up. I added it as a note but those who have tried it already might have missed it!
From Jennifer: These simple meatballs come together quickly enough for a weeknight dinner, yet they are scrumptious enough to serve to a party of special guests! You’ll love the combination of garlic and onion with the subtle undertone of sesame oil and fresh cilantro.
- 1 lb (450 g) ground pastured chicken
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup (20 g) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 g) sea salt
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour (or any gluten free flour) *** add more if your mixture is still too soft! OR go to the Notes section below for substitutions.
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) avocado oil, olive oil or preferred cooking fat
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) water
- To assemble the meatballs, begin by combining all of the ingredients, except for the cooking fat and water, in a mixing bowl. Use your hands to make sure the ingredients are incorporated well with each other.
- Plug in your Instant Pot, pour the 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) cooking fat into the stainless steel basin and press the Sauté button.
- Shape your meatballs until they are a couple of inches (5 cm) in diameter and place them into the hot oil.
- Cook the meatballs on all sides until they begin to brown, around 5 minutes, and then press the Warm/Cancel button.
- Add the water into the bottom of the stainless bowl.
- Secure the lid to the IP, close of the pressure valve and press the Manual button.
- Now press the “-” button until the display reads 5 minutes. Allow the meatballs to cook.
- Once complete, quick-release the pressure valve and remove the lid once safe to do so. Transfer the meatballs onto a towel-lined plate and serve warm.
1.) I used dark meat ground chicken and added 2 tbsp of tapioca flour to the mixture so they're firmer when cooking. The Macros calculated also include the tapioca flour.
2.) To make firmer meatballs without adding starch or any type of binder, use ground turkey instead! Get the 93% lean 7% fat type, not the fat free one.