I’m excited to share with you this super easy and macro friendly recipe from my friend Diane Sanfilippo’s book, Practical Paleo – the Updated and Expanded 2nd Edition! The 1st edition was one of the first Paleo books I had in my arsenal when I started eating Paleo back in 2013 and I’m telling you, this is the most comprehensive one out there. If you can only buy ONE Paleo book, THIS is the one to get.
Asian flavors used to be tough to replicate without soy, but the deep, rich flavor that was once found only in soy sauce is brought out by a fermented coconut product called coconut aminos. You can find coconut aminos in most health food stores as well as from online retailers. As with soy sauce, a little bit goes a long way!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or sustainably sourced red palm oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1½ tbsp Chinese 5-spice
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1 head butter or Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 tsp raw or roasted tahini (sesame paste), almond butter, or sunflower seed butter
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1 large carrot, shredded (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup sliced bell peppers, assorted colors
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the oil.
- Add the ground turkey, coconut aminos, Chinese 5-spice and several pinches each of salt and pepper.
- With a wooden spoon or heat-resistant spatula, break up the meat and spread the spices around. Cook until browned.
- Make the sauce: Combine all of the ingredients except for the sesame seeds in a small mixing bowl.
- Garnish the meat and sauce with the sesame seeds.
- Use as many or as few of the toppings as you like and serve in lettuce cups.
FODMAP-FREE? Omit the bell peppers and red cabbage from the toppings.
FREEZE ME Freeze the cooked and seasoned meat and defrost it to enjoy with fresh vegetables when you're ready.
Have the 1st edition already? Here’s a list of why you NEED this 2nd edition:
– 2 New Chapters (Getting Started with Paleo and Clearing Up Carb Confusion)
– 40+ New Recipes
– 3 New 30-day Meal Plans (Adrenal Health/Stress Management, Liver Detox, Healthy Hormones)
– New Recipe Indicators (21DSD, Quick & Easy, Family, Freeze Me, One Pot, Low & Slow, Party)
– Reference Guide
– Visual Reference Guide
This contest is over!
It’s SUPER EASY to enter and win a copy!
Just leave a comment below and tell me:
“What’s your favorite dish that is both delicious and quick & easy ?”
That’s it! You can enter multiple times by listing each item as separate comments. * NOTE: This giveaway is open to US residents only. You have until 10/24/16, midnight PST to enter.