Fall is my favorite season where I can enjoy soup almost every day without getting tired of it. Something rich and filling such as this Creamy Sweet Potato Soup is packed with nutrients thanks to a combination of sweet potatoes and carrots simmered in chicken stock then pureed to give it a luxurious texture. Topping it with crunchy bacon, sauteed mushrooms and shallots makes it one satisfying meal!
I usually make my own batch of homemade bone broth but when I’m in a pinch for time, I like having a shelf-stable alternative that I can quickly grab and use. Right now I am loving this new line of cooking stocks from Progresso that comes in 3 varieties – chicken, unsalted chicken and vegetable. The ingredients are super clean without any hidden additive and fillers!
- 6 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1" pieces
- 2 cups carrots, sliced into 1" pieces
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 large onion, cubed into 1" pieces
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 8 oz bacon
- 2 cups white or brown mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup shallots, sliced
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- Place all soup ingredients is a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes sand carrots are fork tender. Turn off heat.
- Remove sage leaves and transfer to a blender (or use an immersion stick blender) and puree until smooth.
- Prepare the toppings.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Set aside and leave about 2 tbsp of oil.
- Add mushrooms and cook until browned and softened. Set aside.
- Add shallots and cook until browned and softened. Set aside.
- Pour sweet potato soup in bowls and top with bacon, mushrooms, shallots and chives before serving.