Chicken Tinola or Chicken Ginger Stew is a super easy and simple dish that uses very minimal ingredients. It is one of the classics in Filipino cuisine and each household has their own version so there is no actual set recipe.
This is a one-pot dish that I usually make when it’s chilly or rainy outside or at those times when I’m feeling under the weather. The broth is infused with a good amount of ginger that is very nourishing and comforting so you’ll feel so much better after eating just one bowl!
- cooking oil of your choice
- 2-inch ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 1½ lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (or drummets)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 5 c water
- 2 chayote, peeled and sliced
- sea salt
- 1 bunch spinach
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Add ginger and onion. Saute for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add chicken and cook until the outside starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add chayote and cook for 5 minutes until it softens. Add sea salt according to taste.
- Add spinach, cook for 1 minute and serve hot.
*** This recipe is 21 Day Sugar Detox friendly ***