Are you looking for a natural sweetener that has the right amount of sweetness with a unique taste? This date syrup is a wonderful alternative to raw honey or maple syrup to naturally sweeten your drinks or desserts without being overpowering. As with any type of sweetener, it’s still sugar so don’t overindulge and just use the right amount that is needed.
I’ll be using it in a couple of recipes, one is a side dish inspired by my recent work trip after eating at Cracker Barrel in Nashville and another is a refreshing drink for Filipino Food Friday!
- 6 pieces pitted medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Place chopped dates in a glass bowl and add water.
- Let it sit for at least 1 hour at room temperature to soften the dates.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soaked dates and water until smooth and there are no more chunks remaining.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Transfer to a glass jar and store in the fridge for up to a week.