It’s not quite summer yet here in SoCal (actually, it’s been a tad too cold lately) but I couldn’t resist making a healthier version of Coffee Jelly. I like to eat it as dessert after a meal or as a mid-afternoon pick me up at work.
This is popular in Asian bubble tea stores as an alternative or compliment to boba (tapioca pearls) in milk teas or shakes. Making this homemade version is easy and so much better because it’s dairy free and only contains a teaspoon of coconut sugar!
You can control the strength of the coffee in the jelly by using the substitutions I have included in the recipe below.
- 1¾ cups (400 ml) room temperature black coffee/decaf/cold brew
- 1½ tbsp (5 g) gelatin dissolved in ¼ cup (60 ml) of cold water
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1½ cups (345 ml) almond milk
- ½ cup (180 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (8 g) black assam tea (or 2 tea bags of any black tea)
- Make the coffee jelly by mixing together the coffee, gelatin and sugar until everything is dissolved completely.
- Pour into a gelatin mold or regular glass pan and let it set in the fridge for 4-6 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, prepare the milk tea by simmering almond milk with ½ cup water over low heat for 1-2 minutes. Make sure it does not boil.
- Turn off the heat, add the tea and steep for 3-4 minutes.
- Filter out or remove the tea bags and place the milk tea in the fridge to cool.
- Once the gelatin is set, cut it into cubes and pour the cold milk tea over it and enjoy!
The amount of gelatin will result in a jell-o like consistency. For firmer jelly, add another ¼ tbsp of gelatin.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Paleo Foodie Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.