Massaging kale transforms the dense, hard to chew leaves into something more appealing. Sounds wierd and unsual at first but after just a few minutes of work on those leaves makes a big difference! I first tried this at my local Whole Foods and got charged an arm and a leg for a tiny container (plus they use canola oil — eep!) so it is always much better and healthier to make it at home.
The strawberries give it a sweet and slightly tart flavor that combines well with the nuttiness of the pine nuts. It can be paired with just about any type of protein especially anything that is roasted or grilled. We ate this for dinner with roasted chicken drumsticks marinated in Tessamae’s Hot Wing Sauce and freshly baked Biscuits w/ Honey Butter (recipe from the Primal Cravings cookbook).
- 1 bunch curly or lacinto kale, hard stems removed and torn into pieces
- 3 oz strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, raw or toasted
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tsp salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place kale pieces in a large bowl, add olive oil and salt.
- Massage kale until it turns a darker shade of green and becomes soft.
- Combine lemon juice and honey in a smaller bowl and add to the massaged kale.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with more EVOO and add more honey if a little bit more sweetness is desired.
- Add the slices strawberries and pine nuts.
- Chill int he fridge for a few minutes and serve cold.