Capers and lemon definitely screams summer and this recipe from the Practical Paleo cookbook is as good as it looks! Plus I love anything with capers so the ingredients alone already looked promising. This is a one pot meal that only involves a few minutes of prep work and sauteing before popping it in the oven then dinner is ready in less than an hour. After a long day at work and an intense kettlebell workout, an easy weeknight recipe like this always saves me from getting take out or making unhealthy food choices.
The recipe listed below was modified according to my taste preference and the ingredients I had available so I made the necessary substitutions without sacrificing the original flavor of the dish.
- 1½ lbs chicken tenders
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup capers, drained
- 4 tbsp ghee
- juice and zest of 2 lemons
- fish sauce and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- On a cast iron pan, saute onions in 1 tbsp melted ghee until soft.
- Add artichoke hearts, capers, lemon juice, zest, fish sauce and black pepper. Saute for a minute to combine everything.
- Remove from heat and add chicken tenders and mix with the sauce.
- Top chicken with the rest of the ghee and bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked.