So far so good, I think I like this Whole 30 more than the 21DSD because I can enjoy fruits that are currently in season such as blueberries, cantaloupe and watermelon. I’ve also decided to shy away from nut butters and dried fruit, both of which I heavily relied on before thus contributing to unwanted weight gain. Nut butters and Paleo banana bread became my breakfast staple and now that I am doing the Whole 30, I am embracing going back to basics and eating simple whole foods. My body is thanking me already!
Here is a Cashew Beef Stir Fry recipe that pairs well with cauliflower rice. It can easily be doubled to make enough leftovers for lunch the next day or re purposed into a new meal by adding some vegetables and making an egg frittata out of it.
- 1 cup raw whole cashews
- 2 tsp oil of your choice
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 2 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 (8 oz) can water chestnuts, sliced
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- In a wok over medium heat, add the raw cashews. Toast for a couple of minutes until lightly browned. Stir consistently to prevent the nuts from burning. Remove and set aside.
- Add tallow to the same wok.
- Add the ground beef and stir-fry for 5 minutes until browned.
- Add the ginger, garlic and coconut aminos. Stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add the bell peppers, onion and water chestnuts. Cook until the vegetables start to soften but are still crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Turn off the heat and mix in toasted cashews before serving.