I like to cook steak on a cast iron pan versus the grill because they come out perfectly medium rare and juicy. I also forego the sear + oven method which involves an additional step and extra time. The quicker I can get food on the table for dinner, the better!
A dry rub of salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder and paprika gives the steaks great flavor and to kick it up a notch, I finish it with a garlic rosemary butter sauce mixed with the pan drippings. Move over A1! Besides, you’re not Paleo anyway
Ribeye is usually my cut of choice for this cooking method since grass fed steaks are leaner and tend to get tougher than conventional meat. The steaks should be taken out of the fridge 30 – 45 minutes before cooking to bring them to room temperature which ensures even cooking.
- To make the dry rub, combine salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Heat cast iron pan on high for a few minutes.
- Rub room temperature steaks with some coconut oil to help the dry rub stick.
- Sprinkle dry rub on steaks.
- Once the pan started smoking, place steaks and cook for 3 minutes on the first side for medium rare.
- Flip it and cook the other side for 3 more minutes.
- Place cooked steaks on a plate and cover with foil so that they rest for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, reduce the heat to medium low and add the garlic cloves, rosemary and butter to the pan dripping.
- Cook until rosemary is fragrant and garlic is soft.
- Pour on top of cooked steaks and serve immediately.
- Replace grass fed butter with ghee or coconut oil
- Omit black pepper and paprika
- Increase the amount of onion powder from ¼ tsp to 1 tsp
- Increase the amount of garlic powder from ¼ tsp to 1 tsp
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Paleo Foodie Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.