This dish is part of our dinner rotation at home and it can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. It is inspired by one of my favorite Asian dishes called Hainanese Chicken (or simply Chinese Steamed Chicken) which is typically a whole chicken cooked in boiling water and then served with rice, soup and a ginger sauce.
For a quicker cooking time, I use chicken breasts and steam them instead of boiling. I omit the rice and serve it with pan grilled bokchoy and a spicy ginger scallion sauce.
- 4 pcs chicken breasts
- 2 bags of baby bokchoy
- slices of fresh ginger
- coconut oil
- sesame seeds
- Bring water to a boil in a steamer pot.
- Pat chicken breasts to remove excess moisture and rub with coconut oil and salt.
- Cut 3 – 4 slits on top (about ¼ inch deep) and insert the ginger slices. This will give the chicken added flavor while steaming.
- Place chicken in steamer and cook for at least 15 minutes or until juices run clear.
- For the bokchoy, lightly grease a pan with coconut oil and cook the bokchoy over med high heat until browned and soft.
- Once the chicken is cooked, slice it and enjoy with the spicy ginger scallion sauce and bokchoy.