It’s been ages since I’ve had the orange chicken from Panda Express but I still vividly remember how I felt after eating anything from that place. Bloated, sluggish and extremely thirsty (yes, I am 100% sure they put MSG in their dishes even if they say they dont!) -those are the things that I never want to feel after eating. A meal should make me feel satisfied and not “ohmygodifeellikecrap”.
Now that I am done with the 21 Day Sugar Detox, I have started incorporating some fruit and honey into my meals again. I first made Honey Orange Chicken a couple of months ago and it earned D’s seal of approval so it is on our repertoire of go to Paleo Asian dishes. For dinner tonight, I enjoyed it with garlic cauliflower rice while D ate it over white rice (he’s semi-Paleo anyway!).
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- juice from 1 orange (about ½ cup) *
- fish sauce to taste
- green onions, chopped
- Stir fry chicken pieces in coconut oil over high heat until it starts to brown.
- Add ginger and garlic, sautee until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Lower heat and add coconut aminos, honey, chili sauce, orange juice and fish sauce.
- Stir to incorporate everything together and simmer for 8-10 minutes until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked.
- Top with green onions and serve with cauliflower rice.