Coconut milk is my bolognese sauce’s new best friend. It has the same creamy texture as heavy cream and but does not add any flavor that would clash with the rich tomato sauce. A hearty helping on top of roasted spaghetti squash is the ultimate comfort food!
- 1.5 lbs grass fed ground beef
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup red wine * (optional)
- 1tbsp dried basil
- 2 - 28oz cans of whole San Marzano tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Saute ground beef in a pot over medium heat until halfway cooked.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic and tomato paste. Cook until meat is browned and vegetables are soft.
- Add red wine (or broth) and simmer until reduced
- Add the dried basil, canned tomatoes, coconut milk, salt and pepper and simmer for about 1 hour. (The longer the better to break down the ground beef and thicken the sauce)
- Serve with roasted spaghetti squash. (Also tastes great on butternut squash and sweet potatoes)